Overworked and under cleaned
Our house cleaning tip for this week involves one of the most overworked and under-cleaned items in the house, the toaster. The toaster is one of the most faithful kitchen appliances. When it comes to cleaning, it is also the one item most taken for granted. When the microwave or refrigerator is dirty, they really stand out, and if we continue to ignore them, they will get our attention with ghastly smells and bacteria growth.
On the other hand, the toaster faithfully does its job, and then it sits quietly in the corner or in a cabinet until called upon again. Aside from the melted imprints of plastic bread wrappers and some fingerprints, most of us are oblivious to all the things that are going on inside that toaster. The buildup of crumbs inside the toaster is an open invitation to insects and mice. On top of that, those crumbs can smell, catch fire, and make your toast taste bad.
Cleaning your pop up toaster:
- The most important step is to unplug the toaster and wait until it is cool before you clean it.
- Remove the crumb tray and brush it off into the garbage pail.
- Soak the crumb tray in a degreasing dish washing liquid.
- Once clean, set the crumb tray aside and let it air dry.
- If you need to clean the coils, brush them gently with a soft bristled toothbrush. It is best to leave them alone if possible.
- Turn the toaster upside down, shake it over the sink or garbage, to get rid of crumbs and burnt pieces of toast.
- Clean the exterior with a soft sponge and soapy water.
- Use the toothbrush to clean greasy spots, and sticky residue from jelly or honey on the toaster exterior.
- Color smears from plastic bags can be removed with a little elbow grease and nail polish remover.
Ideally, you should clean your toaster every couple of weeks, and make a deep clean once a month. Remember, it is always prudent to be extra careful when working with electrical appliances. Make sure that any components that you wash with water are completely dry before you use your toaster again.
One of the top house cleaning services in Charlotte, NC
Every home is unique, and that is why Gloria M’s Cleaning Services are customized to meet your cleaning and housekeeping needs. They offer free in-home consultations in an effort to understand your expectations for your household cleaning. Gloria M’s Cleaning Services offers flexibility in the frequency of home cleanings, and options for “green” cleaning services upon request. Keeping your special considerations and your budget in mind, they provide consistent and dependable housecleaning services around your needs. We hope you can find the right service for your home, by understanding the difference between house cleaning services and maid services. If you are looking for help with house cleaning, call Gloria M’s for a consultation and pricing. We look forward to hearing from you and answering your house cleaning questions.
Tagged with: house cleaning
Filed under: house cleaning
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!