Pillows can be deceiving
When it comes to bedding, the best Charlotte NC Maid services do much more than washing sheets and pillow cases. In previous articles, we discussed the importance of regularly vacuuming and turning your mattress. Today, we want to focus on your pillows. Everyone loves the smell of freshly laundered pillow cases when we hit the hay. The truth is that no matter how fresh and soft the pillow case, your pillow is actually infested with millions of critters and a lot of creepy stuff. Research has revealed that beneath that pillow case, the surface of the average pillow is covered with dead skin cells, dust mites, bacteria, fungi, and mold. Dust mites are attracted to your pillow because they love to feed on flakes of human skin. Ever wake up in the middle of the night to a moist pillow? Regardless of how your pillow is constructed, it acts like a sponge that absorbs bodily fluids of various kinds. When you lay on your pillow, you create the ideal temperature for microorganisms to thrive. British researchers have suggested that after two years, up to a third of your pillow’s weight could be made up of microorganisms, dead skin, dust mites and dust mite droppings.
Allergens on your pillow
Dust particles and microorganisms are allergens that can cause allergic reactions and asthma, dust mites do not spread any kind of disease. If you have family members that have allergies, chances are that they may be allergic to the types of dust mites found on our pillows. Regularly cleaning or replacing your pillow can help reduce allergic symptoms such as sneezing, runny nose, and itchy eyes. Look at your pillows, even if they don’t look dirty… they are. If your pillows are too new to replace, washing it can help to reduce the buildup of crud, crust, and critters.
Washing cotton, down, or synthetic pillows:
- Wash your pillows in even numbers so the washer stays balanced.
- Use with hot water and mild detergent. Hot water will kill dust mites without the need for bleach or hazardous chemicals.
- Dry the pillows on a fluff setting in the dryer with a couple clean tennis balls wrapped in white socks.
- Before you use the pillows, make sure they are completely dry to avoid a moist breeding ground for mold.
Washing foam pillows
- Place an even number of pillows in the washing machine to balance the load.
- Wash on the delicate cycle with a mild detergent.
- After washing, check the wetness. If the pillows are to damp, spin a little longer.
- Place the pillows in the dryer at the lowest heat possible.
- Add a softener sheet for freshness, and two or three tennis balls to help fluff the pillows.
- Remove them as soon as they are dry.
- If you are not comfortable washing foam pillows, you can vacuum both sides to remove unwanted dust.
Professional Charlotte NC Maid services
Gloria M’s Cleaning Services can help you to clean and organize your home. Every home is unique, and that is why Gloria M’s maid services are custom tailored to meet your cleaning and housekeeping needs. They offer free in-home consultations with flexibility in the frequency of home cleanings. If you are seeking safe and healthy solutions for your family, Gloria M’s cleaning services offers options for “green” cleaning services upon request. Call them today for Charlotte NC maid services that you will find to be consistent and dependable.