Improve the look of your tiles
Deep cleaning is the solution if you want to restore the beauty to tiles that are marred by dirty grout. Fresh, clean tile can be the highlight of every kitchen and bathroom. However, to keep that bright and clean appearance, you must consistently follow meticulous steps for cleaning grout. Tile is available in a variety of materials to suit every décor such as tiles made from granite, ceramic, marble, and slate. Regardless of the tile that you choose, its most enduring quality is that it is extremely hard-wearing and almost indestructible. The weakness of tile as a decorative material is that is can look old and undesirable when the grout is cracked and/or stained. Grout is commonly a mixture of cement, sand and water that is used to seal joints between tiles. Three of the main varieties of grout include:
- Flooring grout
- Cement or epoxy-based tile grout
- Resin grout
Grout is naturally porous and it can easily become stained, ruining the new appearance of countertops, flooring, or shower stalls. To restore or retain the original appearance of grout requires occasional deep cleaning. This pertains to even grout that has been treated with special sealers.
Do it yourself deep cleaning
Start by covering any areas that need protection with a drop cloth. Be sure to wear rubber gloves and keep a window open to provide proper air circulation. Be sure that the type of grout cleaner you use is safe for your type of tile and grout. Consider the following tips that will make your work a little easier:
- For pre-treatment, spray shaving cream on stained grout and leave it on for a few minutes, then scrub the grout with a small brush.
- Combine a mixture of baking soda and a small amount of white vinegar. Scrub your grout with this paste, using a small brush or old toothbrush. Rinse with warm water.
- For stubborn stains on light colored grout, make a paste of baking soda and hydrogen peroxide. When the mixture stops bubbling, apply the mixture to the stain and let it sit for approximately ten minutes. Scrub with a small brush and rinse.
- After the grout is cleaned to your satisfaction and has completely dried, apply one or two coats of a silicon-based grout sealer. Cover all the grout lines to protect them from water and stain damage.
- If your grout cleaning project is a large one, or it is extremely dirty, your best solution may be to hire a professional cleaning service. Professional house cleaners will deep clean the grout and remove stains as well as mold and mildew.
By following these tips on cleaning grout, your tile work will look as wonderful as the day the tiles were installed.
Professional deep cleaning in Charlotte, NC
The time is now to schedule for deep cleaning of your tile grout. Gloria M’s Cleaning Services is ready to help you meet your cleaning and housekeeping needs. They offer free in-home consultations in an effort to understand your expectations for your household cleaning. Gloria M’s Cleaning Services offers flexibility in the frequency of home cleanings, and options for “green” cleaning services upon request. Keeping your special considerations and your budget in mind, they provide consistent and dependable housecleaning services around your needs. Call them today for a free consultation and estimate for deep cleaning of your tile work and grout.
Tagged with: Deep cleaning
Filed under: house cleaning
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!